California’s State Cannabis Licensees Are Now Eligible For 60-day Fee Deferrals

Table of Contents

California’s three statewide cannabis licensing bodies – the Bureau of Cannabis Control (“BCC” or “Bureau”); CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing (“CDFA”); and the Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch (“CDPH”) – are extending regulatory relief to licensed cannabis businesses with state licenses expiring between May 14 through June 30, 2020.

A 60-day Deferral Of Annual Cannabis License Fees

The extension of regulatory relief aims to immediately alleviate some of the financial stress on licensed cannabis businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Businesses with BCC, CDFA, and CDPH cannabis licenses expiring during the time period referenced above (May 14, 2020 through June 30, 2020) are immediately eligible to have their licensing fees deferred. However, fee deferral is not automatic. In order to request a fee deferral, licensees must submit the necessary forms to the applicable licensing agency in the way prescribed by the applicable agency. If a licensee’s request for a fee deferral is granted, the licensee will be expected to pay its license fee(s) within 60 days of the date that the license(s) expires.

Other Regulatory Compliance Relief From Cannabis Regulators

Additionally, State cannabis licensees who cannot meet specific licensing requirements because of COVID-19 are also eligible to request disaster relief from the applicable licensing authority. Requesting disaster relief provides a temporary exemption from compliance to particular requirements during the emergency. Licensees shall not be subject to an enforcement action for a violation of a licensing requirement in which the licensee has received temporary relief. The cannabis licensing body that affords relief may require that certain conditions be followed in order for a licensee to receive temporary relief from the specific licensing requirements.

  1. Bureau of Cannabis Control (BCC) Disaster Relief: Bureau of Cannabis Control licensees may submit requests for disaster relief under §5038 of the Bureau’s regulations.
  2. CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing, CDFA Disaster Relief: CDFA licensees may submit requests for disaster relief as per §8207 of CDFA’s regulations if a licensee is unable to comply with any licensing requirements due to a disaster.
  3. Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch, CDPH: Cannabis manufacturers and businesses licensed by CDPH may submit requests for disaster relief pursuant to §40182 of CDPH’s regulations.

Please contact our cannabis regulatory compliance and licensing attorneys with any questions or assistance regarding relief being extended by the state’s cannabis regulatory bodies.

Share this post
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on print
Share on email
More to Explore