Since 2004, Joe has dedicated his career to cannabis law and policy. He represents businesses in regulatory matters, business disputes, and enforcement actions while remaining committed to his diverse pro bono practice.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Washington D.C.
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for Eastern District of California
- University of San Francisco School of Law (J.D., 2005)
- University of California, Santa Cruz (B.A., 2002)
Joe Rogoway founded Rogoway Law Group in 2011 with a vision to help his clients through purposeful legal representation. Joe is licensed in California, Oregon, the District of Columbia, and in multiple federal districts. Joe’s substantial litigation experience includes conducting dozens of jury, bench, and administrative trials; he has argued cases before the California Courts of Appeal, and has participated in numerous mediations and arbitrations. Joe’s policy work includes being a co-author and co-proponent of several state ballot initiatives to legalize cannabis and his continuing pro bono efforts on behalf of industry trade associations seeking better local regulations.
PRO BONO & CANNABIS LAW SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS.
- Long Beach City College, “Introduction to the Cannabis Industry (8-Week Course), Lead Instructor.”, September 2020 – Present.
- Meadowlands Digital: Essential Conversations for the California Cannabis Community, “Creating Cannabis Friendly Cities In California and Beyond.” October 2, 2020.
- Americans for Safe Access (ASA) 2020 Medical Cannabis for Neurological Conditions Symposium, “School Cannabis Policies & Legal Support.” September 26, 2020.
- DEA Interim Final Rules: Implications On CBD Industry, September 23, 2020.
- Medical Cannabiz World, Malta. November 4-5, 2019.
- Infused Products Conference, “Money, Money, Money: Acquisition, Merger, Divestiture and Financing Extraction and Infused Products Operations.” September 24, 2019.
- CalCPA California Cannabis Industry Symposium, August 9, 2019.
- Wine & Weed Symposium, “Panel: The Beverage Industry’s Investment in Cannabis; What Does It Mean Long Term?” August 8, 2019.
- Museum of Sonoma County, “Panel: The Future of Cannabis in California.” August 7, 2019.
- ARMA Golden Gate Chapter, “Medicinal and Recreational Marijuana
The Law, Ethics, and What you Need to Know.” 2019.
- Canna West 2019, “Panel: Aligning Public Health and Social Outcomes with State and Local Economic and Tax Benefits.” 2019.
- 2019 California Cannabis Control Summit, “Panel: Big States and Big Urban Markets: Aligning Public Health and Social Outcomes with State and Local Economic and Tax Benefits.” 2019.
- Annual Cannabis Private Investment Summit West, “Panel: Legal State of the Cannabis Industry.” 2018.
- ARMA Greater Los Angeles Annual Conference, “Keynote: Compliance in the Cannabis Industry: Managing Risk in the Midst of the Green Rush.” 2018.
- Spannabis Barcelona XV (Spain), “The Future of Cannabis in the United States & How it is Similar to Spain.” 2017.
- ARMA Seattle 2017, “California Scenarios.” 2017.
- Cannabis Business Summit, “What an Investor Wants: Insights from Investors for Securing Financing and Avoiding Risk.” 2016.
- Cannabis Business Summit, “Mergers and Acquisitions in the Cannabis Industry.” 2016.
- Elevated Cannabis Compliance Conference, 2016.
- SCGA First Fundraiser, “Emerging Issues in the Cannabis Industry,” 2015.
- Marijuana DUI, “Marijuana DUI: Does Cannabis Impair Driving?” 2015.
- Cannabis Tax and Law Symposium, “Running a Cannabis Centric Practice,” 2015.
- Cannabis Business Summit, “Litigation Issues Within the Cannabis Industry,” 2015.
- 2015 Spring Seminar, “Marijuana Cases, Medical Collectives and Cooperatives,” 2015.
- Aspen Legal Seminar, “Crossing the Narc: Techniques in Cross-Examining the Narcotics Expert,” 2014.
- Cannabis in California, Ending the 100 Year War, “Cannabis Legalization,” 2013.
- West Coast Cannabis Expo and Music Festival, “Repeal Cannabis Prohibition Act of 2012,” 2011.
- Reform Conference,”Repeal Cannabis Prohibition Act of 2012,” 2011.
- Next Steps Conference, “Cannabis Policy Reform,” 2010.
Awards & Recognition
Memberships & Associations
Published CANNABIS LAW Articles
- Cal Bar Journal, Criminal Law Section, “Effectuating the Medical Cannabis Defense in California,” 2015
- Kush Magazine, “Legalization and How California will Lead in Cannabis Centric Innovation,” 2011
- West Coast Leaf, “The Repeal Cannabis Prohibition Act of 2012” 2011