TAX of counsel
Douglas has a diverse tax practice concentrating on tax controversies, complex tax planning issues, equity compensation issues and international tax compliance.
- Tax Audits, Appeals & Tax Court Cases
- International Tax Compliance
- Tax Planning
- State Tax representation
- Equity Compensation
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Tax Court
- Georgetown Law (J.D.)
- Georgetown Law (LL.M.)
- University of California Berkeley (B.A.)
Douglas Greenberg is an attorney concentrating in tax controversies, complex tax planning issues, equity compensation issues and international tax compliance.
Douglas received his Bachelor’s degree from the University of California at Berkeley. He received his law degree from Georgetown. After law school, Mr. Greenberg obtained an additional Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree from Georgetown with a concentration in tax. He received this degree with distinction, graduating in the top 5% of the class.
After law school Douglas worked as an associate in the tax departments of various law firms in and around San Francisco. While in law school, he worked at the United States Tax Court, and in the Tax Division of the Justice Department, where he helped prosecute a number of sophisticated, international tax shelters. Douglas is a member of the California State Bar.
In addition to his tax practice, Douglas remains active in public service. For the past several years he has served as a volunteer attorney at a number of area low income tax clinics. There he assists low income taxpayers with their state and federal tax issues and advises enrolled agents and volunteers on complex areas of substantive tax law and procedure.
When he is not solving tax and legal problems, Douglas can often be found reading economics or out on a run.
- Successfully represented clients in Tax Audits, Appeals & Tax Court Cases, including representation in IRS audits and appeals.
- Minimized tax balances, penalties and involuntary collection action and getting clients into full compliance.
- Successfully counseled clients with complex international tax reporting, offshore voluntary disclosures and related services for foreign executives.
- Counseled clients with tax planning for significant corporate events, business transactions, partnership issues, 1031 exchanges and mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented clients in California state income and sales tax audits, and appeals.
- Represented numerous clients in planning and controversy relating to stock options and stock compensation.