Hilary St. Jean joined Rogoway Law Group in 2018, with a practice focused on corporate transactional matters and a history of prior legal practice in Silicon Valley and Los Angeles. Hilary earned her Juris Doctor from UC Berkeley School of Law. Hilary works with entrepreneurs, executives, and investors in support of innovative companies.
Hilary’s practice involves everything from formation to exit of a company and serves clients ranging from emerging entities and startups to mature businesses and repeat-entrepreneurs. Hilary also serves venture and private equity investors. Hilary has experience with various financing transactions, corporate governance and organization, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and a variety of other corporate and transactional matters.
Hilary has a background in entertainment-based matters, including intellectual property asset transactions, talent agreements, and sponsorship and promotional arrangements. Prior to working at Rogoway, Hilary worked in the heart of Silicon Valley on Sand Hill Road on a variety of transactional matters and including as a board-level attorney, advising client boards of directors on both business and business/legal matters. Before becoming an attorney, Hilary worked at a Fortune 500 company in the music business. Hilary’s prior employment experience contributes to Hilary’s unique ability to provide both legal and business advice to her clients.
Awards & Recognition
Recent CANNABIS LAW Speaking Engagements
Southern University Law Center’s Cannabis and Hemp Continuing Education Symposium, Baton Rouge, LA. “Corporate Considerations for Cannabis Companies from Formation to Exit.” December 13, 2019.
- Represented various clients on buy and sell side in multiple mergers and acquisitions ranging from millions of dollars to billions of dollars.
- Represented cannabis clients in private company equity financings in 2019 ranging in the 20s of millions of dollars range.
- Represented company cannabis clients in multiple debt financings, including involving SAFEs (Simple Agreements for Future Equity) and promissory notes (both convertible into equity and straight loans).
- Represented multiple cannabis operators with respect to key commercial agreements (cultivation, manufacturing, distribution), IP and brand licensing agreements (white labeling and other) and other material agreements, such as leases and property related agreements.
- Represented an Oakland dispensary in acquisition by a leading vertically integrated international public cannabis investor and business in the multiple millions of dollars.
- Represented and formed funds for investment in cannabis companies.
Advised investors regarding diligence and investment in cannabis operations.
- Worked on multiple roll-ups and restructures in the cannabis business, navigating tricky regulatory parameters in multiple entity reorganizations.
- Worked on up to 8 financings per week in Silicon Valley representing both investors and companies (with investment amounts ranging from tens of millions of dollars to hundreds of millions of dollars).
Represented DCG Systems Inc. in Silicon Valley in their acquisition by FEI for $160 million dollars.
Represented Source3 (intellectual-property tracking startup) in Silicon Valley in connection with their acquisition by Facebook.
- Represented American Traffic Solutions (a leading provider of road safety cameras and toll and violations management solutions throughout North America, now part of Verra Mobility, the leading provider of tech-enabled smart transportation solutions across the US and Europe) in Silicon Valley in connection with their acquisition by Platinum Equity.
- Represented Top 100 music artist in Los Angeles with respect to legal matters in connection with Grammy-nominated album.
- Represented multi-platinum recording artist in Los Angeles with respect to various transactional agreements including a world tour agreement.
- Represented Emmy-winning television star in Los Angeles with respect to television series agreements and a book publishing agreement.
- Represented multi-platinum-selling songwriter in Los Angeles with respect to songwriter agreements.
- Represented major music promoter in Los Angeles with respect to partnership agreement.
- Represented entertainment publishing company in Los Angeles in its asset acquisitions of legendary music catalogs.
- Represented healthcare company seller in Los Angeles in $4.4 billion dollar acquisition (deal resulted in firm being awarded Deal of the Year in the healthcare industry by M&A Atlas Awards).
- Represented One Lambda, Inc. in Los Angeles in its sale to Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. for $925 million dollars.
- Represented a single client in Los Angeles in multiple sale and joint venture transactions ranging from $10 million dollars to $60 million dollars.
- Represented major automobile manufacturer in Los Angeles with respect to commercial advertising and intellectual property licensing.